With more than 700 representatives of the Ohio Association planning to travel to Anaheim, California in just a few short days, it is important to prepare for the trip. Traveling can be an exciting and eye-opening experience, and but if it is your first time on a plane, or leaving Ohio, or traveling at all, it can be scary.
Here are few tips to help you prepare for travel:
- Pick your luggage. Do you want a rolling bag on wheels? A duffel bag you must carry? A backpack with limited space?
- Create a packing list and pack ahead of time. Your list should include items like cell phone charger, headphones, toiletries, ID, itineraries, emergency contact information, and snacks (optional). Make sure you pack clothing and footwear appropriate for both the business professional sessions/competitions and the more casual tour excursions. **Super Secret Travel Tip** Consider packing a surge protector power strip. This will help maximize charging capacity when in confined spaces with limited outlets, like airports and conference rooms.
- Make sure you have an acceptable form of personal identification.
- Know what you can and cannot carry on in your luggage by watching the TSA Travel Tips: 3-1-1 Liquids Rule video.
- Learn how to prepare for airport security screening of your carry-on bags before your flight, by watching this TSA Information Video.
- Reader’s Digest writer, Brooke Nelson, offers 10 Little Etiquette Rules for Flying on an Airplane including, “Proper flying etiquette begins before you even board the plane. Have your boarding pass and ID ready…think ahead by removing your belt, pulling out your laptop, and separating your liquids…help fellow travelers…and respect your (limited) space” (www.rd.com).
Once you arrive in California, keep the following suggestions in mind:
- Be early to everything. Advisors have planned jammed packed itineraries for attendees that have precise schedules and require on time departures. Review the agenda and make sure you know when you need to be where.
- Get plenty of sleep and stay hydrated.
- Wear the correct footwear. You will be walking a lot and comfortable shoes will be necessary. Consider challenging fellow attendees to see who can get the most steps or farthest difference during the conference.
- Get oriented with the facility. Familiarize yourself with the conference spaces, competition spaces, Precision Exams lab, special sessions, etc. Check and double check that you have everything you need for your competitive event.
- Have fun! Participating in the National Leadership Conference is a huge honor and a great responsibility. Enjoy taking the time to meet new people, try new foods, experience new places, and explore more of what Business Professionals of America has to offer. Make sure you share your experiences by tagging Ohio Association at #ohbpa and #nlcoh19.